Multi-vendor?

Discussion for coding development or feature requests
Paul

Multi-vendor?

Post by Paul » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:15 am

Hi, I run a membership database for a trade association. One of the things we do is provide the members with their own website to promote their individual businesses. All of these are centrally hosted and not portable.

We would like to be able to incorporate a shopping cart system, which would need individual vendor access to their own store.

I can see that I could do this by multiple installations, but it would be more efficient to have a single database.

Is this something you'd consider adding?

Brent
Site Admin

Re: Multi-vendor?

Post by Brent » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:05 pm

I am assuming you want multiple stores from one database.
It's is probably a possibility for future development.

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi Brent,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that's what I'm looking for. I want to be able to let the members set up their own stores, individually managed and controlled, but without having to do a separate software install for each one. Ideally with some kind of superadmin user to manage a general overview of the accounts.

Brent
Site Admin

Post by Brent » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:51 pm

We'll give that some thought.
Any idea how many products each member would have on average. If the number is quite large, using one database could be a drawback.
One software install with separate databases for each store would be the alternative.

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi Brent,

Each store would have a reasonably small number of products. If you need a number I'm just guessing at no more than 100, if that. Does that sound like a lot?

The issue we have with individual installs is the number of MySQL databases required. Since we run on a hosted server, we are limited as to how many we can use.

cmebd

Post by cmebd » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Brent wrote: One software install with separate databases for each store would be the alternative.
Now that is something I would be interested in ultimately. Not that I am contemplating providing for 1,000's of products in each store . I am basically considering a home-crafts that individuals/members would be able to "sell" on their own site. Some may only have 10 products some maybe 100/200.

Now the following is wishlist type stuff that I have no clue whether or not is possible:

Main Site/Single Install:
Install would have its own front end.
Subscriptions/Billing cycle (allowing for billing to Members monthly/bi-yearly/yearly)

Branches/Sub-domains:
Branches would have total control of their site including payment processes.

Possibly, also, branch product/graphics feed automatically to the "main" site.

Cheers
Christine