Ideas

General discussion about AlegroCart - Post here if you can't find another suitable forum
gob33

Ideas

Post by gob33 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:08 am

I drop here some ideas about developpement:

1) Would like the software to have more users. Think, you should open the developpement to attract more people and delegate functions. The use of a tool like "redmine" for the source will be great (used for virtuemart for example).

2) License change. I dont see the GPL of good use with shopping carts. I prefer OSL3 as it permits commercials modules to take place, attracting vendors.

Brent
Site Admin

Re: Ideas

Post by Brent » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:22 am

1: Have just set up SVN
2: Will look at OSL3. Commercial contributions have always been an option.
At present, there are 2 of us with many projects underway. Until the next version is complete, I don't think we can
handle much more. I believe we have created a solid, stable, and fast cart with many options, yet trying not to sacrifice speed.
The cart is is stands today is a result of many suggests, some by you, and requests for special features.

gob33

Post by gob33 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:36 pm

The pb I see is that the OpenCart fork is more advanced (functionnalities and commercials now) and users generally follow that movement. Some work has to be done on Alegro rapidly, so a team of organized coders could help.
Can follow Opencart more or less without its weakness as there is no copyright on its code.
The fact is OpenCart is getting a bigger place everyday on the e-commerce software market. Being developped by only one individual doesnt give trust to enterprises. Its not the same target as Magento but can count for (very) small enterprises.

gob33

Post by gob33 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:04 am

At some point, extensions should be organized in their own download center, sorted by categories and not in the forum. Developpers could upload them with a description and manage old ones. A shop for commercial extensions would also be nice, like OpenCart do.

Brent
Site Admin

Post by Brent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:29 am

Yes, at some point that is possible.
At present, there are no extensions to add that are not included in the cart.
We have included all the extensions to this point in the download.
I am not sure how the other carts function, but I know how this one did when I started.
Adding extensions like modules, calculate, shipping, and payment module could create a lot of overhead when the number
became large.
Now it does not create any extra overhead to have a large number of extensions. Only the calculate, shipping, and payment modules you have enabled are loaded at run time. Only the modules specified in the template manager are run.
This method allows including new extensions into the core making it a more full featured download.
It will evolve. We just want the best method of going forward without having to constantly backup because our ideas where rushed into.

gob33

Post by gob33 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:20 am

Something very important to do: Tables names abstraction
All tables should be in a file like:

Code: Select all

/**
 * database_tables.php
 * Defines the database table names used in the project
 */

if (!defined('DB_PREFIX')) define('DB_PREFIX', '');

define('TABLE_AC_ADDRESS', DB_PREFIX . 'address');
define('TABLE_AC_CATEGORY', DB_PREFIX . 'category');
And CONSTANTS used in Alegro should all begin with a prefix (e.g. 'AC_')
This is for integration of Alegro inside others projets (WordPress, CMS, ...)
Like that, Alegro tables can be mixed in the same DB and names do not conflict.

Brent
Site Admin

Post by Brent » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:35 am

That could be something to look at for the next revision after the first of the year.

gob33

Post by gob33 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:57 am

Have the layout following the 960 grid system CSS framework
This grid system seems to become a standart for columns.
It is used by the new osCommerce 2.3

gob33

Post by gob33 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Already mentioned that prob: the display of the forum is shifted left of about 60~70 pixels in window mode.
In full screen all is good. And I use Firefox 3.6.15. Rather anoying for reading.
Strange nobody complain about that ?

leo
admin

Post by leo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:55 am

Your resolution?