Ideas

General discussion about AlegroCart - Post here if you can't find another suitable forum
Brent
Site Admin

Re: Ideas

Post by Brent » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:55 am

Rewriting the engine by adopting a PHP5 framework and no more using PHP references.
You would have to explain that a little more and what are the advantages.
And what do you mean by PHP5 framework.

As far a the paging, it has been considered. We already have similar in catalog. I have never had another request for it and with other options at the top of the page, it splits the users field of vision. I suppose it could be in both places.

gob33

Post by gob33 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:34 am

1] Actually, if i want next page, i must click on the drop box, move the mouse cursor in drop list, select the next page 11 for example with 2nd click. Could be easier by clicking ONCE on an next/prev arrow or first/last. It's the principle in forums. I see only faster page scroll by doing that.

2] PHP framework. Ahh !!
It's a collection of general classes you use for faster developping your project.
The best way is to have a look at CodeIgniter Guide
Kohana is another possibility (a fork of CI).
FuelPHP is a recent PHP framework trying to get the best ideas of CI, Kohana, Rails.
FuelPHP for CodeIgniter Developers

OpenCart 1.5 is based on CodeIgniter, code syntax and base classes are similar.
The benefit is object orientation, clear code, very abstract. That comes from PHP5 object model.
You use PHP4 references.
One key in OpenCart 1.5 is the registry object who holds everything and is central.
A registry is a container for storing objects and values in the application space. By storing the value in a registry, the same object is always available throughout your application. This mechanism is an alternative to using global storage.
Second key are the internal PHP5 methods _set() and _get() who permit accessing transparently in the registry.

TomatoCart v2.0 is doing actually a complete rewrite of its core based on Codeigniter.

Perhaps could be a good idea to stick to OpenCart 1.5 engine while keeping AlegroCart differences in treatment.
Last edited by gob33 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

gob33

Post by gob33 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:22 am

Have you some future plans about a shop for selling AlegroCart extensions ?

The business model of OpenCart seems to run good. Daniel Kerr has build a simple shop where developpers can come and upload/manage their extensions (think also build with CodeIgniter) for selling or not (free modules). That's very attractive for developpers, more than 3000 extensions/templates now. We are paid each month via Paypal less -20% for Daniel. Think you could do that by preserving some compatibility with OpenCart so that adapting modules could be easy.

Brent
Site Admin

Post by Brent » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Haven't given it much thought at this point. Too many changes are going to happen in the next version.
As far as coping opencart, that is not what we had in mind. This cart will evolve on it's own merits.
There are many possible changes that can and will be made. We are just choosing the best methods to implement.
As I personally have no experience with opencart, I can't comment on their code base at all.
As far as adding enhancements, everyone is welcome to do that.
Until we get the cart to a point where we think the core is sufficient for most needs, I don't think we will probably implement an extension upload.
For now, if someone wants to create modules for sale, they can post their wares in the appropriate forum.

gob33

Post by gob33 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Have a look at OpenShop.
They are good ideas to follow. Basically, its OpenCart plus some great extensions in one package.
Main points i like: CMS, SqlBuddy, File Manager and editor. Great admin. vQmod integrated of course.

Rachana

Post by Rachana » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:20 am

I think for Open cart Development that a proper plugin system is much more important than a multi vendor system. I know we get a lot of requests for it on the forum, but they are just a vocal minority. Very few people need a multi vendor system, and even fewer will ever have any success with it.
Last edited by Rachana on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

ds_robert

Post by ds_robert » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:56 am

If it is not already available, I would like the ability to enter the rel="author" header meta tag details somewhere in the Configuration ==> Settings dialog.

Brent
Site Admin

Post by Brent » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:11 am

For now, you could just add to the layout.tpl and it will be included in every page.

gob33

Post by gob33 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:49 am

Something that could be done for large datasets (countries, zones, ...): using the dataTable JQuery plugin.

Its a very good implementation of a table, practiquely all customizable, easy to implement, lot of controls, API and internal access, integrated full pagination, search, all with javascript.

gob33

Post by gob33 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:05 am

You may pass to responsive design as tablets and phones are more and more used.
Use Bootstrap for css.