In stock product displays

Discussion for coding development or feature requests
Bluesplayer

In stock product displays

Post by Bluesplayer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:52 am

(I should point out that my site displays the stock image)

Just had an interesting discussion with my sister about how some sites display in stock items. I brought the subject up because I have a product that has already received a few Google search visits but is out of stock. The manufacturer has just sent me a note to say it is back in stock.

The quandry I have is that there must be about 20 styles of this product with some out of stock. If I put all these styles under options - which makes sense to me - then should a visitor load the product page the first size or style will register whether that product is out of stock or not. This could be costly as it will appear then that the product is out of stock altogether.

My sister mentioned that on a site she visits the product page loads the first product that IS in stock thereby getting around the problem. She also mentioned that when a product displays as out of stock an email box appears asking whether they wanted to be reminded when the product was back in stock.

Interesting and easy to create?

Brent
Site Admin

Re: In stock product displays

Post by Brent » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:59 am

Should not be a big issue to create the part to show the first item in stock.
The email is a different matter. We can look at adding the show stock part for now.

Bluesplayer

Post by Bluesplayer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:10 am

Brent wrote:Should not be a big issue to create the part to show the first item in stock.
The email is a different matter. We can look at adding the show stock part for now.
Brilliant. The shopping script is really coming alive :D .

Cheers

Bluesplayer

Post by Bluesplayer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:28 am

Is there a way to add the coloured in stock icon to the options drop down menu? As I mentioned this particular product has 20 styles and quite a few are out of stock so it would be really handy to see which are in stock when viewing the menu.

leo
admin

Post by leo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:10 am

Bluesplayer

Post by Bluesplayer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:30 am

Try this page out Leo and you will see what I mean. This is just a html snapshot of a page and I have altered the style menu:

http://apet4life.co.uk/files/themeshots ... icons.html

Instead of using coloured icons I have coloured the options instead. Click on the dropdown style option menu to see. This would be a great way for a user to quickly see all options that are either in or out of stock.

leo
admin

Post by leo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:04 am

OK, I see what you mean. It works fine if you have only 1 option (only fogle in our case), but complicated if you have 3 options.

Bluesplayer

Post by Bluesplayer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:26 am

This product is a very tricky one because there are so many styles. Because of this there is the problem of viewing all the images and also the problem of being in stock or not. I suppose I could load the products individually so that all the style images can be viewed from within the category. I could then upload images with 'out of stock' writen over the ones out of stock. This is probably what I will have to do with this particular product and keep it relatively simple.

Bluesplayer

Post by Bluesplayer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:15 am

This product is a headache!

Anyways I am adding these products to my shop so I am viewing the suppliers shop at the same time I am viewing my own. I notice with stock levels the quantity drop down menu on the suppliers shop doesn't exceed the stock level whereas on my own shop it displays the setting in admin, in my case 20. I am adding stock at the moment with a stock value of only 1but it is possible to add up to 20 on my own shop whereas the suppliers drop down menu is held at the stock level of 1. This seems a lot neater and more practical than a warning at the cart stage (will probably p*** them off) . Seem like a good idea?

I also notice that when the product is out of stock the size box displays an 'out of stock' message.

See the page here:

http://www.creatureclothes.com/product. ... 839&page=1

The stock levels will alter obviously but at the moment the above can be seen on the above page.

If you notice it also loads the first product size in stock too.

leo
admin

Post by leo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:44 am

Added to the todo list. We'll find a good solution.