Shipping Module

Discussion for coding development or feature requests
nicolaswhitham

Shipping Module

Post by nicolaswhitham » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:02 pm

I am trying to setup my online shop but experiencing many difficulties with shipping. Some of my items are odd sizes and don't conform to weight shipping. Per item shipping is just a fixed price per item and doesn't really help me. I really need to be able to assign an individual shipping cost for each item listed - is this possible or are their any development along these lines? Apologies if this is possible and I have missed it.

leo
admin

Re: Shipping Module

Post by leo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:44 pm

If it is not a secret could you share with us what would you sell on the market? It could help us a lot to understand the problem.
Anyway Brent is working on different shipping methods, probably he can help you.

nicolaswhitham

Post by nicolaswhitham » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:04 am

Thanks for the reply, I look forward to hearing about the new shipping options.

We sell large Buddha's which are very heavy but not too large, we sell artwork prints which are large but quite light and need special delivery instructions in addition to CD's, books, crystals all which go via regular post. Although these are nothing special most have their own unique packaging and shipping requirements. It is impossible to get the balance right using weight.

Brent
Site Admin

Post by Brent » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:33 am

What method of shipping would you be using. Post, courier.
The dimension additions I am working on will create shipping packages.
This facilitates calculating the rate based on cubing or weight, which ever is greater.
The actual rate calculation still has to be done by the shipping module.

nicolaswhitham

Post by nicolaswhitham » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:42 am

Shipping is generally done by post. Sometimes regular first or second class and otherimes by registered delivery. My preferred option would be to have a table of prices and just assign a level to a individual product or to be able to specify postage cost for each item.

Brent
Site Admin

Post by Brent » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:11 am

What country post do you use.
I am currently using Australia post as a test method.
The process allows user to select items in cart and the items are then packaged according to max size and weight per parcel.
You then get a list of parcels with rates for each and a total cost for the order.

nicolaswhitham

Post by nicolaswhitham » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:28 am

I am in the UK and use Royal Mail services. I think if each item used the same service it would be easier but some use speical delivery, some standard local and standard airmail.

Brent
Site Admin

Post by Brent » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:53 am

I'll finish up with Australia post and then have a look at royal Post.

In the Australia method, The user has the choice of which service to choose. Air is default. If they choose ground for international shipping, an error is returned from AUS post and displayed on the shipping page. Your post should be similar.
The one thing I should point out is they can have only one service per order.

nicolaswhitham

Post by nicolaswhitham » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:05 am

That is really why I would prefer a shipping price per item as they may select several products one of which need to be sent special delivery.

Brent
Site Admin

Post by Brent » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:14 am

You'll have to let me digest that one.
Would you need to let them have the option of how to ship each item and are these domestic or international?