Examples of horizontal menus?

General Support for technical Issues relating to AlegroCart
Bluesplayer

Examples of horizontal menus?

Post by Bluesplayer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:15 am

I keep staring at my website and I would like to experiment with the categories placed at the top of the site in a horizontal position. This would allow me to use the left column more productively by advertising various parts of the site. I don't suppose you have experimented with such have you and have any styling css files hanging around? No problem really as I should be able to figure it out on my own but it would save me work obviously.

Brent
Site Admin

Re: Examples of horizontal menus?

Post by Brent » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:32 pm

The new admin menu is your best example. It is based on the same Ajax code as the category menu. The only real difference is the admin is not data base driven, but is produced very similar, only horizontal.
The biggest reason we have not really pursued a horizontal menu is the size limitation. You can only have so few Main categories in the allotted space.

Bluesplayer

Post by Bluesplayer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:07 am

I have the menu displaying horizontally but the problem is it is still holding onto the breadcrumb part of the code. I need to disable it somehow, else make it use the admin js file instead. I removed the reference to the js file in the category.tpl file and tried to base it on css only but it still seems to use it. Apart from this problem it works and looks pretty good.

It may not be the breadcrumb part but the menu is attempting to remember the last click state.

I suppose I could code the menu from scratch and disable the vertical menu entirely - just stop it from displaying but still on the page - and manually enter category numbers and so on. Would be quite easy to do really. I might well try this approach and try and use the original code at a later stage when I have the time to work on it.

Bluesplayer

Post by Bluesplayer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:56 am

Got this working now except the hover on the very top menu. For some reason it will not display white.

testingstuff.tk

Looks pretty good but as you say it uses up a fair bit of room.

Brent
Site Admin

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:43 am

Yes, it looks and works fine.

Bluesplayer

Post by Bluesplayer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:50 am

Got everything working on it now and tightened it up some to use a little less room. Might well use this now on my live site.

apvkt

Post by apvkt » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:24 pm

Brent wrote:The new admin menu is your best example. It is based on the same Ajax code as the category menu. The only real difference is the admin is not data base driven, but is produced very similar, only horizontal.
The biggest reason we have not really pursued a horizontal menu is the size limitation. You can only have so few Main categories in the allotted space.
Hi,
Thanks for sharing this idea. I have tried this and it works well and good. Once again thanks and keep it up..