Checkout validation

General Support for technical Issues relating to AlegroCart
Bluesplayer

Checkout validation

Post by Bluesplayer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:17 am

I have an interesting party that is keeping an eye on my site and checking how it works. I mentioned that I think I lost a sale because the pay process needed a little work. What I was refering to was the fact that all I have in place is paypal. I think the buyer might well have stopped at this point when they couldn't see credit card details. I have altered the page now:

He then took a look at the payment process more thoroughly than I did and this was his post:
There's def some work to do on that checkout too. It's not validating anything. The postage should relate to the users location as well. Also lose the voucher code box...will cost you a fortune from wandering visitors.

Just tried to order with address details of sidfl nkjdsfh nknbdfjhgsdf lol! It did make an attempt at validating the email. Nothing on postcode.
Can the voucher box be taken out - or made optional - without upsetting the process?

Brent
Site Admin

Re: Checkout validation

Post by Brent » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:41 am

For now, you could probably just comment out the coupon box in the checkout tpl file.
Yes, it should be optional if coupon is not enabled. We will modify that.
I am not sure what he means by it will cost you a fortune from wandering visitors. How so.
The only validation we do is to make sure the Email address is from a valid email server. As far as address verification, that is not implemented as with dozens of countries, we do not have the resources to do this. If you need this for the UK, and had the information, it could be implemented. If you ship world wide, you would need this for everywhere you ship.
The useful validation is done by paypal. They ensure the address matches the credit card billing address. They have that information when you capture the sale, or notify you when the address does not match if you set up for automatic capture of payments.

Bluesplayer

Post by Bluesplayer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:49 am

Sounds good to me. I can disable the voucher code box for now.

I think he was going a bit too overboard with his appraisal. By 'wandering' he meant, I think, that people will shoot off to see if they can find a voucher code on a different site that they could then apply, which means you could lose them altogether to a rival site.

As you say Paypal does all the verification that is necessary in my case.

Cheers

Brent
Site Admin

Post by Brent » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:53 am

I have to agree on the appraisel.
I don't know of any site I personally purchase from, and there are a lot as I buy RC helicopter and Airplane parts online, that posts coupon codes. They are automatically inserted on several sites, but most email you the code. As I said, many rc sites use the coupon code as well as most computer suppliers like Dell, who I also buy most of my PCs from.
But I am agreeable to your suggestion as I personally do not use coupons on my own store at all. I prefer to use the dated sale process instead.